Rocky Springs Townhomes is located in Woodstock, Ga. just 35 miles north of downtown Atlanta and just 3 miles east of downtown Woodstock. Established in 1982 we have been proud to be a part of this growing community.
Woodstock is located in the southernmost part of Cherokee County, approximately 30 miles north of Atlanta and 12 miles south of Canton, the county seat. Woodstock City Hall is located at 103 Arnold Mill Road, Woodstock, GA 30188. The southern part of Cherokee was settled first due to its flatter topography and easier access. Woodstock is over one hundred years old and one of the county's oldest towns. The railroad came to Woodstock in November 1879. Presumably, this is when the first train depot was built, although the first written account was recorded when the City of Woodstock limits were measured from the Depot in 1897. The City had a population of 300 and comprised a total of 960 acres. Woodstock had industries of various kinds. The first gristmills in the county were located nearby. Wood carving, yarn spinning and other related activities were also done. The abundance of water power around Woodstock, such as Little River, Noonday Creek, and other streams, facilitated these industries. Woodstock had a considerable activity in mineral development. The old Kellogg Gold Mine and several others are within a few miles of Woodstock. Mica and kaolin were also found in nearby areas. Woodstock was mainly an agricultural town. By the 1890s Woodstock was said to be shipping 2,000 bales of cotton annually. A number of Woodstock developers were influential in introducing innovative farming methods to the county. There are many different stories of how Woodstock got its name. The most logical is that it derived from a novel of the same name by Sir Walter Scott. Other less plausible explanations included the theory that the train stopped here to "stock wood," but the railroad came to the area some fifty years after the town had a post office and a name. There is also one tale that a man named Mr. Woodstock settled in the area and started a school, thus giving the community its name. Today, the City of Woodstock is the fastest growing city in Cherokee County. More and more new businesses and professional services are available and conveniently located in Woodstock. With the growth rate of Woodstock at 70% over the past 10 years, the city has doubled in size. With Interstate 575 and State Highway 92 running diagonally and directly through the heart of Woodstock, there are unlimited possibilities for those who live and work in Woodstock and Cherokee County.
Points of Interest
Historical Train Depot
The Marietta and North Georgia Railroad came to Woodstock in 1879. It is believed that the first depot was constructed that same year near the junction of Main Street and the railroad tracks on the West side of the tracks. This depot was demolished in 1913 after completion of a new depot at the present location. In 1905, the Marietta and North Georgia Railroad was taken over by the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. The current depot was constructed by that line in 1912 to serve as a passenger and freight depot. The building was divided into a freight room and a passenger and ticketing area. This was a typical L&N building pattern, used all along the railroad line. The depot was a focal point for transporting local items such as cotton, rope and other agricultural products. The depot was also used as a commuter transit for students attending school in Canton and Marietta. The depot was manned by an agent and had a full-fledged communications service using telegraph until the late 1950s. A National Register nomination for the depot was submitted to and accepted by the State Office of Historical Preservation. Several questions about the history of the depot remain unanswered. Located next to the depot is a retired caboose, donated by Norfolk Southern in July 1992. The depot today serves as home to the Downtown Development Association.
Woodstock City Park
Constructed in 1996, the City Park provides residents and visitors with a beautiful passive area, with a gazebo and water fountain as its focal points.
For a relaxing afternoon or evening, the park provides benches for sitting. Various activities are held here throughout the year, including 4th of July events, Christmas jubilee, concerts in the evening and Brown Bag Concerts during the summer months. The park has become the setting of many weddings, birthdays and other special celebrations. For information about the City Park, please call 678-445-6518.
A 25-acre facility, Dupree Park, located on Neese Road, offers sporting amenities for everyone to enjoy, including:
Historical Downtown Woodstock
Brick paved sidewalks provide residents and visitors with a pedestrian friendly environment, where buildings dating back to 1879 are the trademark of this historical commercial district, the heart of Woodstock. The Downtown District includes antique shops, tearooms and special events facilities. Specialty shops, including hair salon, gift shop, coffeehouse and furniture store complement the area. Services available include chiropractic care, spas, car repairs and more. A walk through Downtown Woodstock brings back the beauty of days gone by with the convenience of today and the allure of the future.
A visit to the Woodstock Visitors Center at Dean's Store will give credence to the slogan there: Where yesterday lives and tomorrow waits. Opened in an existing building in 1906, the store has remained in the Dean Family since that time. Since 1981, little merchandise has been sold, but easy chairs and surroundings from other centuries invite visitors to come in for information and directions.
Allatoona Lake is located just 15 minutes from downtown Woodstock. The lake offers a respite from the rush of city living. More than 13 million visitors each year enjoy picnicking, camping, hunting, fishing, swimming and other water sports, and observing the abundant wildlife along the shores of this beautiful lake.